A few details about the CAP offers CAP Information, 2014-2015
Some Texas residents who are not admitted to UT Austin as first-time freshmen see participation in the Coordinated Admission Program (CAP) as a viable option. Participants enroll in another UT System university during their freshman year and then transfer to UT Austin after they successfully complete the CAP requirements.
Participating in CAP
If you receive an offer to participate in CAP, you must complete and submit the agreement by the deadline. Most UT System universities require that you submit the agreement by May 1. (UTSA's agreement deadline is April 1.)
CAP Offer Details
LEARN ABOUT CAP REQUIREMENTS
The following requirements are necessary for successful completion of CAP:
- Complete a minimum of 30 semester credit hours of transferable coursework from an approved list of courses offered by the UT System school that you choose to attend.
- Earn a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.2 on the coursework that you complete while enrolled at your selected UT System university.
- Enroll in and complete at least one mathematics course from the approved list of courses that is beyond Math 301 (College Algebra) during the fall 2014 or spring 2015 semester.
- Complete all college coursework during the fall 2014 and spring 2015 semesters.
- Submit a final official transcript to UT Austin by June 1, 2015, from the UT System university that you select to attend.
LEARN ABOUT PARTICIPATING CAP UNIVERSITIES
Even though you do not have to apply to your selected UT System school, there may be additional steps you have to take—such as registering for orientation, taking care of placement testing, and applying for on-campus housing or financial aid—to enroll in the university you select.
To find out more about the universities that participate in CAP and about additional enrollment requirements, visit the pages about the participating universities and the Enrollment Requirements page. Please read this information closely.
You may also contact the designated representative at the participating CAP universities with questions about their enrollment process.
COMPLETE THE ONLINE CAP AGREEMENT
If you are offered CAP and you decide to participate, you will be required to submit the online CAP Agreement by the deadline specified by the UT System university you select to attend (May 1 for most universities; April 1 for UTSA). As part of the agreement, you’ll select a participating UT System university to attend during your participation in the program, but you won't have to apply for admission to your selected university.
Once we receive your completed online CAP agreement, we'll send you a confirmation letter and send your information to the UT System university you select.
PREPARE TO ENROLL IN CAP AS A FRESHMAN
After you select the university you want to attend and you submit your CAP agreement, UT Austin will send your information to the university you plan to attend. At that point, you’ll need to review the online information about the participating CAP universities to help you begin planning for the things you’ll need to do to prepare to enroll.
COMPLETE THE CAP REQUIREMENTS DURING YOUR FRESHMAN YEAR
To assure that you will be able to return to UT Austin after your freshman year, you will need to do two things:
- Complete the fall and spring semesters of your CAP year to earn the required 30 hours of coursework with at least a 3.2 GPA.
- Send your official university transcript to UT Austin by the June 1 deadline.
After we verify your completion of the CAP requirements, we’ll send you official confirmation about your admission to UT Austin along with information about what you need to do to enroll at UT Austin in the fall.
STAY IN TOUCH
During your freshman year, you should stay in touch with the CAP advisor on your campus. The advisor will help you select approved classes and will be able to answer any questions you might have during the year.
UT Austin will contact you by e-mail and by mail during your freshman year. Near the end of the fall semester, we’ll ask you to update your contact information and to tell us which major you’re interested in at UT Austin. We’ll contact you again in the spring (late April-early May) to touch base and remind you that you’ll need to send official transcripts of your work to us after you finish your freshman year. And finally, we’ll contact you with your final admission decision after we receive your final transcripts to confirm your successful completion of the requirements to return to UT Austin and to let you know what you should do next.
Additional CAP Resources
- Frequently asked questions for students participating in CAP during freshman year
- List of participating UT System universities and approved course listings
- Financial aid information for students participating in CAP
- Minimum enrollment requirements for UT System universities