Paying for college UT Austin Scholarships
Most university-wide scholarships, including departmental scholarships, are awarded using the ApplyTexas Application.
To apply for scholarships, you should:
- Complete an ApplyTexas application for admission and select UT Austin as your target university. The application is available beginning August 1 (for summer/fall applicants).
- Submit the admission, scholarship, and essay sections of the application by December 1 of your senior year. (December 1 is the scholarship deadline.)
- Some scholarships require special essays or letters of recommendation. To determine if a scholarship requires supplemental documentation, click on the scholarship name on Page 5 of the Scholarship section of your application. To complete the application for such scholarships, you must submit the documentation to the Office of Student Financial Services by the deadline that is listed in the additional information. Please be aware that some deadlines are sooner than others.
Scholarship committees consider various factors such as scholastic achievement, community involvement, leadership abilities, standardized test scores, and financial need when making award decisions. Visit TexasScholarships.org for more information on applying for scholarships.
Submit your FAFSA
Even if you don’t think you’ll qualify for need-based aid, it’s a good idea to apply for all types of aid by completing the FAFSA. Some scholarship awards strongly consider the information submitted on your FAFSA.
Apply for College, Departmental and Program Scholarships
- College and Departmental Scholarships: Applying for freshman scholarships using the ApplyTexas Application allows you to be considered for most university scholarships. However, some colleges and departments administer their own scholarship programs through a separate application process.
Check with the college or school to which you are applying to determine their scholarship application process for incoming freshmen.
- Forty Acres Scholars Program: The Texas Exes recently created a four-year merit scholarship program, the Forty Acres Scholars, to recruit and recognize exceptional students. A video profiles the 2012 recipients.
Application information is available at the Texas Exes Scholarship Foundation website.
- Program Scholarships: Special programs, such as ROTC or Athletics, may offer scholarships beyond the ApplyTexas and department scholarship applications.
Please contact their offices for further instructions.
Apply for Outside Scholarships
You should also look for scholarship opportunities beyond UT Austin at the local, state and national level. Many scholarship opportunities are out there for you to discover.
You should never pay someone to help you find scholarships. The university offers ample information and links to helpful free sites that may assist you in locating available scholarships.