See for yourself Campus Visits for Freshman Prospects
Visiting the UT Austin campus is really the best way to know if it’s right for you.
If you’re considering applying for freshman admission, we’d love to have you (and your family) on campus for a day of activities tailored to your interests. Just pick a day and register for your visit; visits are held in the Undergraduate Admissions Center in John Hargis Hall (JHH).
Campus Visit Options
Prospective Freshmen Campus Visit
A UT Austin campus visit session consists of all three of the following activities and lasts about two-and-a-half hours.
- Information Session: An admissions counselor shares information about UT Austin, including why we’re consistently ranked among top universities and are a top destination for students from around the world.
- Student Q&A: Current UT Austin students answer questions about what life is really like on the Forty Acres. Come prepared with questions.
- Campus Walking Tour: Student-guided walking tours of campus for prospective students and families begin at the Undergraduate Admissions Center (John Hargis Hall). Given from the unique perspective of a current student, this is one of the best ways to get a feel for campus. Be sure to wear comfortable clothes and walking shoes; visitors walk about one mile on the tour.
Details about the location of the information session will be provided during the registration process.
Prospective students or members of their family who require special mobility assistance should contact the Undergraduate Admissions Center at 512-475-7439 after registering for a campus visit online. Please contact us as soon as possible after registering if you need assistance.
College & School Info Sessions for Prospective Freshmen
Some colleges, schools and programs (like honors programs) offer information sessions, the chance to sit in on classes, and building tours for prospective students and their families. As most of these sessions are not offered each day, you may want to choose a scheduled academic session and plan the rest of your day on campus around that activity.
**Sign up for most of these information sessions when you register online for a campus visit. Some sessions and meetings require individual appointments.**
School of Architecture
- School of Architecture Information Session and Tour
McCombs School of Business
- McCombs School of Business Information Session and Tour
- Business Honors Program Information Session (interested students should also attend the McCombs School of Business Information Session)
Moody College of Communication
- Moody College of Communication Information Session
- Radio-Television-Film Department Tour
College of Education
- College of Education Information Session
College of Fine Arts - Information Sessions
- College of Fine Arts Information Session and Tour
College of Fine Arts - Individual Meetings by Appointment
For students intending to major in Music, Theatre, Dance, Art or Art History, individual appointments may be scheduled with department/school representatives during the week. Please e-mail the contact listed below at least a week before your visit to determine if a meeting can be arranged during your visit to campus.
- Butler School of Music: Contact Sarah Borshard at email@example.com.
- Art and Art History: Contact Thao Votang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Theatre and Dance: Contact Alyse DeSoto at email@example.com.
Cockrell School of Engineering - Information Sessions
- Cockrell School of Engineering Information Session (includes information about the Engineering Honors Program)
- Biomedical Engineering Information Session (interested students should also attend the Cockrell School of Engineering Information Session)
- Electrical and Computer Engineering Information Session (interested students should also attend the Cockrell School of Engineering Information Session)
- Engineering Session for Admitted Women (for admitted students only)
Cockrell School of Engineering - Individual Meetings by Appointment
The following Engineering departments offer individual meetings with prospective students and their families. Interested students are highly encouraged to sign up for and attend the Cockrell School of Engineering Information Session before attending one of the individual Engineering department meetings. Call or email the contacts listed below to determine if a meeting can be arranged during your visit.
- Aerospace Engineering: Contact Adele Magnani at 512-471-4223 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an individual meeting.
- Chemical Engineering: Contact Kelly McQueary at 512-471-6443 or email@example.com to schedule an individual meeting. Meetings only available on Friday afternoons.
- Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering: Contact Dr. Dan Wheat at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an individual meeting.
- Mechanical Engineering: Contact the Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate Office by e-mail to arrange an individual meeting. Appointments will only be scheduled for 2 p.m. on Fridays. Scheduled appointments should be requested by e-mail with at least 72 hours notice.
- Petroleum and Geosystems Engineering: To schedule a visit, contact Jessica Jimenez at email@example.com or 512-232-9306 at least two weeks before your visit.
- Equal Opportunity in Engineering: Contact Dawn Hunter at 512-471-5953 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a meeting.
Jackson School of Geosciences
- Jackson School of Geosciences Information Session and Lunch
College of Liberal Arts
- Liberal Arts Information Session
- Liberal Arts Honors Program Information Session and Class
- Plan II Honors Program Information Session and Class
- Government Information Session
- UTeach-Liberal Arts Information Session (A secondary teacher preparation and certification program for Liberal Arts majors.)
- Hindi Urdu Flagship Language Program Information session (An undergraduate program for students who wish to achieve advanced professional proficiency in Hindi and Urdu.)
- Program in Core Texts and Ideas Info Session (A great books program open to students in all colleges and schools.)
College of Natural Sciences
- College of Natural Sciences Information Session (Provides an overview of the college, majors and degree options, research, student communities and honors opportunities available to all undergraduates in the College of Natural Sciences.) More information about campus visit options are available on the Natural Sciences Prospective Students page.
- Computer Science Campus Visits (Provides an opportunity to visit a class and interact with faculty, advisors, and current students in Computer Science.) More information is available on the Computer Science visit page.
School of Nursing
- School of Nursing Information Session
School of Undergraduate Studies
- School of Undergraduate Studies Information Session
Search available dates, times and sessions, and register for a campus visit.
Information Sessions at Regional Admissions Centers
Can't make it to Austin for an information session? Our regional admissions centers frequently offer sessions for prospective students and families to learn about UT Austin, the admissions application process and more. Visit the Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Rio Grande Valley, West Texas, East Texas, El Paso or New York City admissions centers pages for information session dates and times.
More Ways to Experience Campus
Check out events and activities that may be taking place on campus during your visit:
- Admissions events: Choose from several admissions events, like Longhorn Saturday, which are held during the year for prospective students and their families. Separate registration may be required for the pre-planned admissions events so check the Events section of Be a Longhorn for details.
- Campus and student events: There's always something happening on campus, from annual events like Forty Acres Fest and Explore UT to Texas Revue and Party on the Plaza.
- Campus Events calendar: Check out the university-wide Events Calendar to explore concerts, speeches and other programs and events that may be taking place on campus during your visit.
- Texas athletic events: Review the Texas Longhorns events calendar to find out if the Longhorns will be in action during your visit. (Some events may require advance ticket purchases.)
Special Mobility Assistance, Other Accommodation
Prospective students or members of their families who require special mobility assistance or other accommodation should contact the Undergraduate Admissions Center at email@example.com after registering for a campus visit online. Please contact us no later than five (5) business days prior to the event.