Skip to main content or Skip to navigation

The University of Texas at Austin

Most former military (ex-military personnel) or ROTC students who want to attend UT Austin after completing their military commitments apply to UT Austin as regular transfer applicants. Former military applicants who have not taken any college-level coursework should apply for freshman admission.

There are no extra application requirements for military students and no guaranteed admission standards. Although we do attempt to be sensitive to military students’ mobility and special commitments, we do not typically provide early admission decisions because of the timeline of our admissions process.

Credit for Military Service (HB 269)

HB 269 makes military veterans who enroll in Texas universities and who meet certain requirements eligible to receive undergraduate college credit for the time they spent in the service. Eligible veterans receive college credit for all the required physical education courses needed for their degree and up to an additional 12 semester hours of elective coursework.

Details about HB 269


To be eligible to receive credit for military service, veterans must have:

  • Graduated from a public or private high school accredited by a generally recognized accrediting organization or from a high school operated by the U.S. Department of Defense.
  • Completed a minimum of two years of service in the armed services (unless discharged because of a disability).
  • Been honorably discharged from the U.S. armed forces.

Credit for military service is available to all entering undergraduates – those applying for transfer admission, freshman admission, or for readmission. The credit is awarded for having served – not for any college-level courses that might have been taken while in the military.

Physical education credit and elective credit

The University of Texas at Austin does not have any degree programs that require physical education courses and so will not award any credit for physical education credit under HB 269. Incoming students who meet the requirements will, however, be eligible to receive up to 12 semester hours of credit for elective coursework that will be applied toward their degree.

Accepting credit – or not

Shouldn’t all veterans accept all credit for which they are eligible under HB 269? Not necessarily. In some cases having too much college credit can cause negative consequences.

Some students with excess credit may be charged additional tuition. Students who have more than 3 hours beyond that needed for their degrees are not eligible for the university’s tuition rebate upon graduation. And students with too much credit may be ineligible for the Texas B-On-Time loan forgiveness program.

As a result, some veterans may want to accept all 12 semester hours of available credit for their military service while it may be better for others to accept only 3 semester hours – or 6 or 9.

What entering veterans should do

If you are a veteran who is entering the university as an undergraduate, you should meet with an admissions representative to discuss HB 269. During your meeting, the representative will discuss your options with you so that you can make a decision about how much credit to accept and when (you don’t have to decide right away); you’ll also receive a form that you’ll be able to complete to indicate the amount of elective credit you wish to receive.

Admissions representatives are available to meet with prospective and incoming students each day from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Undergraduate Admissions Center in John Hargis Hall. Representatives are available on a drop-in basis; there is no need to make an appointment although you may have to wait a few minutes if all the representatives are busy when you arrive.

Transfer Credit from Military Schools

Military school credits typically do not count toward the application requirement for the required semester hours of transferable coursework.

Details about military credit

ACE guides and military training and experience

The university reviews the military separation papers (DD 214) or military transcripts of transfer applicants to award appropriate transfer credit. UT Austin uses the American Council of Education (ACE) guides to research course credit.

Visit the Transfer Credit for Military Training & Experience page for details about how UT Austin considers most military training and experience.

Concurrent Admissions Program for Army Enlistees (ConAP)

UT Austin is a participating institution in the Concurrent Admissions Program for Army Enlistees (ConAP). As a participant, we agree to counsel enlistees who indicate an interest in UT Austin by sending us a participant form.

ROTC Scholarships

There are a number of scholarship programs for students planning to participate in ROTC. However, the Office of Admissions does not handle information on military scholarship awards. See each program’s website for information about Navy ROTC scholarships, Army ROTC scholarships, or Air Force ROTC scholarships.

State Residency

State residency can impact admissions, financial aid, and tuition and fees. Review the information about residency status for military from the university’s Residency Office to learn more.

Veteran Certification

For information about education benefits for veterans, including GI Bill benefits and the Hazlewood exemption, visit the Veteran Certification page on the Office of the Registrar’s web site.

Updated Mon, 2011-04-18 08:03 | Top

Ask Admissions

Contact us

The University of Texas at Austin
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 8058
Austin, TX 78713-8058

More contacts and locations